Monday, 4 August 2014

Meatless Monday #1

Welcome to The Inked Vegan and the very first post in what is a year-long, daily blogging challenge. 

First up is this super simple recipe which make a perfect Winter or Summer meal, no matter where you are in the world. 

I don't know about you, but I've found it difficult to locate vegan curry pastes in my local supermarkets. Many contain anchovies, shrimp paste or fish sauce which is not something I wish to consume. Luckily I found the Ayam brand which makes a few vegan pastes, some which you may see pop up on the blog from time to time. 

I suppose the one downfall of buying pre-made curry pastes is that they're usually high in sodium. I don't actively add salt to my meals and I generally try to avoid foods with added salt. 

Since my salt consumption is near non-existant on most days, I don't mind eating a higher salt meal on occasion. Like with this recipe, I find adding water (or milk) dilutes the saltiness whilst still keeping the bold flavours. In the end there's around 500mg of salt in this dish - still well under the 2500mg recommended daily. 

I hope you enjoy this recipe. Please feel free to leave recipe suggestions in the comment box below. 



Ingredients

100g Rice Vermicelli Noodles
1 tsp Ayam Massaman Curry Sauce
1-2 Cups Water
100g Potato, peeled and diced
50g Capsicum, cut into strips
50g Carrots, cut into batons
30g Onion, diced
50g Snow Peas
50g Red Cabbage, shaved



Directions

Add the onion, potato, curry paste to a pan for 2-3 minutes to toast
Pour in half the water and allow to simmer until the potatoes soften
In a separate bowl pour boiling water over the rice noodles, once softened drain and set aside
Add the rest of the water and the remaining vegetables to the pan and cook for a further few minutes 
Once the vegetables are soft (to your liking) pour over the rice noodles and stir everything through

Makes 1 serve



Macros 

511 calories
11.9g protein
1.6g fat
111.1g carbs
14.1g sugar
11.3g fibre

90.8% carbs - 7.4% protein - 1.8% fat


Check back next (and every) Monday for a new low-fat, vegan savoury recipe. 

But, more importantly, come back everyday for new content featuring: Tattoo Tuesday, What I Ate Wednesday, Treat Yourself Thursday, Friday Favourites, Smoothie Saturday, Ice Cream Sundays. 

1 comment:

  1. I love my meat ..... but that looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete