Thursday, 14 August 2014

Treat Yourself Thursday #2



When I first went vegan, I tried out every non-dairy milk imaginable. While they made suitable milk replacements, they were not cheap, ranging anywhere from $3.30 - $5.00 for a litre. As someone on a budget, making my own non-dairy milks is the more practical option.




Unlike most almond milk recipes, mine calls for just 1/4 Cup (or 50g) or almonds, keeping it much lower in fat.

I find that using less almonds still results in a creamy, flavourful litre of almond milk. And considering I don't drink almond milk as is (I generally add it to smoothies or cooked dishes), using fewer almonds is not a taste issue for me. 

So, all I did to make this almond milk was to soak the almonds in water overnight, draining them before adding to a blender with just one cup of water to begin with.
I blended the almonds on high to break them down before adding a further 3 cups of water.
I kept blending until the the water began looking white and creamy.
I simply used a fine mesh strainer to separate the almond pulp from the milk.
This is where you can add any sweeteners of your choice - or none if you plan on cooking savoury recipes with it.
This almond milk will last around five days in the fridge, if you don't drink it all before then!



Macros

250ml/1 Cup of Almond Milk

22 calories
0.8g protein
1.8g fat
0.8g carbs
0.2g sugar
0.5g fibre



You won't want to miss next week's Treat Yourself Thursday post.
I'll finally be sharing my Raw Vegan Oreo recipe with you.
Here's something to get you drooling...



No comments:

Post a Comment