Thursday, 9 October 2014

Treat Yourself Thursday #10

Whilst I purused the baking aisle at Woolworths the other week, I came across this new product: Queen Fine Foods Jel-It-In.

Not only is this gelatine beef-free, it's vegan too!

I have experimented with agar powder in the past, however I always found it to make jelly cloudy, and often the flavours added to it did nothing to mask it's taste.

Jel-It-In is unflavoured, making it the perfect alternative to gelatin in vegan recipes. 
You can read my full review over on my other blog, Stacie Michelle. 

Since it's currently school holidays in many Australian states, I have a recipe which even children could make - with parental supervision, of course.

Maybe you have a child's birthday coming up, and while you've raised them as vegan, their friends may not be. Instead of having to provide for vegans and non-vegans, this jelly is suitable for everyone. Find some other vegan candy, and make Frog in a Pond (one of my childhood favourites), or add some chunks of fruit for texture and extra sweetness. 



Ingredients

2 Cups Fresh Apple Juice
2 Sachets Queen Fine Foods Jel-It-In



Directions

Mix the Jel-It-In in cold apple juice until it dissolves.
Transfer to a stove top, bring it to a boil and simmer for 1 minute
Pour into your desired moulds immediately as this begins to set quickly
Place in the fridge to keep cool before serving


Macros (for the entire jelly)


 300 calories
1.3g protein
0.6g fat
73.4g carbs
56.3g sugar
1.4g fibre




No comments:

Post a Comment