Tuesday 26 August 2014

Tattoo Tuesday #4

This is advice which I wish I could have heard many moons ago.
Why you should wait to get tattooed

I'll be the first to admit my brush with the tribal tattoo trend in the early 2000s.
Initially, for my first tattoo, I was going to get a tattoo similar to my cousin's.
My dragon is still tribal-esque, but really solid black, representing me being born in the Year of the Dragon.
I was lucky not to end up with some random swirly black tribal lines that many are now stuck with for life (some with regrets).

My second and third tattoos were butterflies on my inner thighs.
Questionable, but not a regret for me. I thought I was being edgy and a little crazy copying a movie.
Sure they're silly, but they are in a place where no one can see.

The break between these tattoos and my next (my feet tattoos) was a couple of years,
in which time I learnt much about the fundamentals of tattooing: technique, style and history.


I've seen people suggest drawing or taking a print out of an image,
something similar to what you want tattooed on your body.
Put it on your fridge or on a wall - somewhere you will see it everyday.
Keep it there for a couple of months, and if after that time you still love it, it could be the tattoo for you.

Don't just settle for any tattoo artist in your local area.
Think long and hard about the tattoo theme and imagery, then look for an artist which deals with the same or similar style.

This advice isn't even about meaning - tattoos don't need to have meaning.
What tattoos should be are ones done by talented and experienced professionals and of something you'll enjoy looking at for decades to come. 



And for a little more guidance, this is actually a check-list I devised for the tattoo magazine I created as my major VCE Media assignment,
all the way back in 2004 (man, I feel old).
These are some things you should consider and ask yourself before you ever get tattooed.

  
I have seriously thought about getting a tattoo for some time.

I have my desired tattoo in mind.

A tattoo will not change or affect my current career or future employment opportunities.

A tattoo will have no repercussions on my health.

This is purely my decision, and I am not being pressured by any of those around me.

I have researched the tattoo shop in question. 

This tattoo shop has valid health and safety certificates.

I have asked all the questions I wanted answered, and am happy with the responses I received.

I am willing to follow all after care instructions given, reducing the risk of infection.

I will not regret getting this tattoo.  



And these are some of the most important things to remember -



For some more advice, check out my Tattoo Etiquette post.

No comments:

Post a Comment